Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Pizza Guy: a love-life update

"Hi! I'm really hungry right now and I don't know what to get. It can't be like a sit-down kind of thing because I'm here with friends and they're all standing around and drinking."

"Alright," I thought for a moment while glancing around me. I saw the swirl of laughing faces and heard the clang and twinkle as yet another highball glass hit the concrete and shattered. "Uhhh, why don't you get a pizza? What do you like?"

"I dunno, what's good?"

This guy is attractive but I honestly don't have time to step away from working and chat about pizza toppings. The table over in the corner is waving at me to come take their order for another round of shots. My arms are full of glasses, plates and a half-eaten bowl of chips.

"The artichoke pizza is to die for," I reply.

"Yeah? What's babaganoush?"

My sister and I had this exact same discussion a few weeks ago which is the only reason I know the answer. "It's an eggplant dip. There's only a little bit on the pizza."

"Oh, I'm kind of a carnivore though sooo...."

"Oh alright, try the pepperoni with bacon and mushroom."

"That sounds perfect."

So, after that rivetting conversation I took his money, sent in the order, and gave him a lanyard with a number on it.
"Make sure you wear this so the waitress bringing out the pizza will be able to spot you, okay?"

"Will you bring it out to me?" he asked.

"Um, I'm really busy right now. We'll see."

"Alright," he said hopefully, crossing his fingers.

******Cut to Present Tense******


The Pizza Guy and I have been hanging out for about three weeks now and we're both really happy. We're not anything official, however we do officially enjoy each other's company. The way we're going about things is really interesting. We don't set plans for the future. Instead, we say,

"So... in December, if we're still hanging out, it would be cool to hit up Rottnest Island." (note: summer lasts from November till Febuary here.)

But things are good, really good.

Is it all happening a bit soon, though? It's been about a month and a half since my trauma, which I told him about. It was a really difficult conversation, I must say.

"Uhhhh... the reason I don't want to go to that restaurant is because I, ummm, used to work there."

"Okay. What happened? Did you leave on bad terms with your bosses or something?"

"No. Alright, I wasn't sure of whether or not to tell you this but I guess it's a good thing for you to know if we continue to see each other..."

"Okay..." his voice sounded hesitant, worried. We were on the phone discussing our plans for dinner that coming Friday evening. He mentioned a place he wanted to take me in Subiaco but hadn't said the name of the restaurant. Because I'm so paranoid, I managed to jump to the idea that he would want to take me to where I used to work, where I met my rapists. I freaked out, my mind raced with the idea of my rapist taking our orders and serving our drinks. That's when I realised I had to say something, not just because I didn't want to go there but because I felt like it would explain a lot of my strange hesitations and hangups.

"A little less than a month ago, I was raped."

He exhaled the breath he'd held whilst I tiptoed through that last sentence. The sound he made showed shock and sympathy. A perfect response. We talked through it, he asked me questions, asked if there was anything he could or shouldn't do to help, asked how I was healing.

Since then he has been proving himself as trustworthy and kind. It's really something.

So this Sunday is my noble Pizza Guy's 24th and I really want to get him something special (but not too over-the-top, it's only been about three weeks or so) and I have no idea of what to get him. What do you think? He's smart, getting his Master's degree, loves basketball, is Christian, has a great job... goodness, he sounds pretty lovely. What do you get the guy who has it all?

8 comments:

UBERMOUTH said...

Something with a bit of you stamped on it- your favourite book, film, cd?
Sorry to hear of your ordeal, that's awful. You sound like a really strong girl though. :)

anonymousnupe said...

Sounds like a really together brother, especially the Christian part. If he's athletic, get him a cool Under Armor shirt. Hoops tickets would be cool...if it were hoops season. Get them too early and, heaven forbid, you're not together when the season rolls around and...Get him something that shows you've been paying attention to the little details. Like one time my gal noticed that my Hampton Institute (University) license plate frame was badly faded, so she called down and had them ship me two new ones for my new ride. That was sagacious.

GreatWhyte said...

First of all, YAY for the Hampton guy above me... always glad to see a fellow Hamptonian. Now, the gift. Something basketball-ish. Tickets are ALWAYS a winner.

Anonymous said...

Okay since you've only been seeing him for 3 weeks and he already has everything how about you cook him a nice dinner and ya'll can eat and watch movies *so romantic* :-)

La said...

:-)

Jameil said...

i have no idea. something he's talked about that show's you're listening... i'm late so i guess what did you end up getting him is the better response. the december summer thing would completely throw me off. i'd like to try artichoke pizza! no one can tell you what's too soon. just take it slow.

Muze said...

i'm with them basketball-related something might do the trick. i'm happy for you sweetie! it's good to read something positive from you. :)

@ nupe: that was sooo sweet of your sweetie! i've got to remember that one. lol.

anonymousnupe said...

Muze, don't be bitin' off my Boo! LOL!