Saturday, August 18, 2007

I'm it.

The lovely Natural Muze has tagged me to write, in detail, ten things I like about myself and then tag five people whilst saying something nice about them. Alright, let's go.

1) I have the BEST relationship with my sister. I honestly could not wish for a better person with whom to share parents. Even though I'm thousands of miles away, our relationship hasn't suffered at all. I am so thankful for her and our friendship.

2) I am one of the most passionate people I know. I don't just like something, I love it. It's a part of who I am and is apparent in the way I talk to people or dive into new experiences or tell stories, which brings me to my next item...

3) I am a fantastic story-teller. I believe I can make the action of putting on a pair of socks sound riveting. I believe this is why I write nonfiction, it's not so much that my life is very interesting, it's all about the way you tell the story.

4) I traveled all the way to West Australia to get a master's degree. I am so proud of myself for doing this. I'm thrilled with my choice to come here and I'm amazed that I was able to come here alone, knowing no one, get into a university and get a second degree. I feel so courageous and like I've gained so much since I've been here. I can also tell people that I lived in Australia for a little over a year and a half, which will sound sooo cool to my future in-laws.

5) I prefer a small cafe or pub to a crowded club any day. When I say "I wanna do something fun," that means that I want to go to the local cafe and people-watch while sipping lattes or a good glass of wine, (red wine, never white!) and have a good conversation. Uh, this is a little off topic but I really dislike white wine and I don't care for champagne or sparkling wines unless it's a sparkling rose. I don't like sweet red wine like Merlot, although I'll deal with it if it's a Merlot blend like Cabernet-Merlot or something.

6) I LOVE my uniquely West Coast accent. I've had some people pick up on it instantly saying, "What part of California are you from?" and I love it. I use the words "totally", "like", "definitely" and "whatev" freely and I don't feel bad about it at all. Who cares if I sound like an extra from Laguna Beach?

7) I am so comfortable in my own skin. I love who I am and I'm fine with or without someone keeping me company. I don't mind perusing a bookstore on my own but if you want to join in, you're more than welcome.

8) I embrace my blue moods. I think it's important to really feel every emotion so when I'm feeling down I allow myself to sulk, play sad music, watch sappy movies and whatever. I even made a playlist on my iTunes specifically for this purpose. Yeah, I know it's a little strange but, like Madonna says, "express yourself, don't repress yourself". I think it will save money on therapy later on in life.

9) I love my musical background. My sister and I are the daughters of a romantic, soul-searching jazz musician and I'm very proud of that fact. When I was younger, music was always floating in the air, Dad was always strumming his guitar and humming the melody of songs when he'd forgotten the words. Lovely.

10) I generally don't care about what people think of me. I know it sounds cliche but I really don't. I mean, I love hearing the good things like "Porsch is so nice, I really like her," but if someone is saying or feeling negative things about me, it doesn't really bother me too much. I know it's impossible to please everyone and, in the end, what matters most is that I love myself.

A few extras...

11) I'm really happy I decided to go natural with my hair. It's so much healthier and it's nice not to be chemical-dependent anymore.

12) If the whole PR thing doesn't work, I'm pretty sure I have a future in preaching. I know my Bible. I can spout off verses left and right for nearly any situation. I attended a private Christian college for four years of my life and have read the Bible at least three times during that period. I know for a fact that whatever it is you're going through, there is a Bible verse, passage or story relevant to the issue, and I can probably tell you what it is and where to find it.

Alright, now on to the tagging...
My Lovely Sister, Nikki, a phenomenal chef and a great writer who doesn't write nearly as much as she should.

Ms. Puddin', a beautiful young woman who is a fantastic writer and that I relate to immensly.

Megan, my lovely friend who is honest, witty, and absolutely delightful.

Heathie, my favourite Australian. So smart and simply amazing, I adore him.

Jenna a wonderful, passionate and over-analytical person who knows me so well, it's ridiculous.

Take care!!!

1 comment:

Muze said...

awww. wonderful post! i love your hair, you're so cute! lol.

1- me too! except mine are younger. i'm sending them off to college this year... *tear*. lol.

3- yes YOU ARE!

4- oh, that is going to look ULTRA cool....but then again, it is. lol..

5- okay, so why am i starting to think we're the same person? lol.

9- that's lovely. sounds like a very cool childhood.

thanks for participating...i enjoyed reading immensely. :)