Saturday, August 11, 2007

In a coffehouse

The elderly couple sitting at the table next to me is having a full on discussion regarding what the woman had eaten that day and whether or not she'd like a sandwich or another cup of coffee.

"I had two chocolates and a banana..."

"Well maybe you'd like something else that's sweet," her husband suggests.

"No, I don't want a sweet, I've already had two chocolates."

"You want another coffee?"

"Well, I just had tea this morning and then coffee..."


Why is that interesting? Does being married force you to care about how many chocolates your spouse has consumed that day? It's incredible; they are both so intrigued by the conversation they're having. I'm wondering if people ever run out of things to say to each other. It seems that by the time you run out of topics, you've reached a point where the silence is no longer awkward. You can just look at each other and nod your head in understanding. When you think of something to say, you'll say it.

"Did Janice get you that sweater for Christmas three years ago?"

"No, you bought it for me when Myer was having that sale."

"Oh, right. That's a nice colour."

"Yeah, I quite like it."

Then more silence and a nod here and there.


The seat across from me is empty. There is no one to fill the empty spaces of silence that occur between scribbles in my notebook. No one to tell me if the foam from my latte is on the tip of my nose or to comment on the ambient music in the background. Maybe I'm really happy just being alone. Maybe I shouldn't be in a relationship at all and just let the empty chair watch me sip coffee. At least then the silence is comfortable like the elderly couple's. The only thing is that once I think of something to say, I haven't got anyone to say it to.

2 comments:

thePearlMag said...

Cute post. I agree with you. I guess marriage can do that to you -- that's the beauty - when the silence isn't awkard. Good one!

So@24 said...

i'm on the fence about that conversation... is it really sweet or do we get to a point where we are "the dining dead"?