Sunday, September 2, 2007

Do you want to talk?

On the way home from the hospital, the taxi driver was pleasant. The car smelled of tobacco and vanilla deodoriser. He made small talk about his night so far and asked me about mine, obviously curious about my pickup location. I rested my head against my hand but immediately jerked my head upright because of the sharp pain the tender bruise on my temple caused when pressed.

"You'll have to direct me, I've only been taxi-driving a short while. The university student housing?"

"Yeah," I said. "Just turn right up here." I calmly thought about leading us into a car crash. The streets were dark, I could lead us down a dead end, maybe we'd crash into a light pole. These morbid thoughts flipped through my mind like slow-turning pages.

I paid the driver, got out of the cab and into my small apartment. I locked the doors, set my purse on the floor, stood in front of the full-length mirror and began undressing. I took great consideration in the removal of my clothing, how each layer revealed more and more of my skin, until I stood in front of the mirror, naked except for a pair of panties. I gazed at my reflection, noting the way the dim light cast small shadows beneath my breasts and defined the muscles on my stomach. I examined the scratches and carpet burns on my elbows and thought about my state of helplessness.

After I pulled on a shirt and a pair of sweatpants, I rifled through my purse and pulled out the card the doctor had given me. I grabbed my phone and, with trembling fingers, dialed the number. The woman who answered took my name and phone number and said I'd be receiving a phone call soon.

I hung up and sat there waiting. I thought about what I would say to whomever called. I thought about telling my friends and how I would go about doing that. I thought about how I would tell my mother.

My phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hello," the soft female voice came through. "May I please speak to Porscha?"

"This is her," I replied.

"Hi Porscha, this is Lisa. I'm a counselor from the Perth Rape and Crisis centre. Do you want to talk?"

"Yes," I replied timidly, my voice sounding weak and cracked. "Yes I do."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed about your courage to describe all that happens in your life, even in these difficult times. For me writing helps me get over things, but I always write for myself, or at least most of the time. It's really difficult to find something to say in reply to this post now. Everything seems stupid in response to what happened to you. But I wanted to leave something written. I don't even know why

Muze said...

WOW. i don't want to even think about what my mind and this post is leading me to believe.

at the very least, i am hoping this is a post reflecting on the past.

i've been in that same taxi riding down a dark road, thoughts swirling with 'what's next?' i have talked to that same woman with that same compassionate voice.

you have a way of telling a story so vividly i find myself sharing your happiness and your tears.

this one has brought sorrow to my heart. i hope everything is okay.

Anonymous said...

My sister, I am amazed at your constant self disclosure no matter how difficult the situation. What happened to you was a violation of the worst kind and your strength will be an inspiration to others. You have a support group around you that, even though we are not able to be there physically, are there for you spiritually and emotionally. Please use us as we are all here for you. What was done to you is something that no one deserves and although we would like to seek a painful and slow revenge upon those who hurt us so deeply in an attempt to test our faith and change who we are, you are much to strong a person to give your predator the satisfaction of that kind of power. We know who the final delagator of judgement is. Please seek peace in that.
With the deepest love,
Your Sis

Porscha said...

Thanks for your messages.

BritPop:Just the fact that you left a comment means so much. I am finding that writing is helping me cope with this, I just hope it's not too depressing.

Muze: As always, you're able to connect with me and share my feelings. It happened on Saturday night/ Sunday morning and I am an emotional wreck. It's hard not having my close family and friends around me right now but it's comforting to know that thereare people who care.

Sis: Thanks for your prayers. I know it's scary to read that I'm having morbid thoughts right now but I'm going to do my best to keep my head above water. As of right now, each moment feels so trying and I don't want to leave my bed. I know this will pass, it's just hard right now. Thanks for your support, I know this is tough for you, too. Love.

La said...

I've been there. You're not walking this path alone.

GreatWhyte said...

Nothing grates more when you have pain and people who haven't felt it say that they understand, so I don't understand. But I'm reaching out to you anyway. Please don't be defeated. You aren't less than. You aren't powerless. You aren't weak. You aren't blamed. You can make it through.

Organized Noise said...

As a man, it bothers me every time I hear about something like this. The strength and courage that you have already shown this week is beyond amazing. You have already shown that you won't be defeated.