Friday, May 30, 2008

Dream Job

One of the things about starting fresh is that it gives you a prime opportunity to reassess your goals and search for your dream job. I, however, have no idea of what my dream job is. My Bachelor's degree is in journalism and marketing and my Master's is in Professional Communications and P.R.. So now what?

I'm trying to think about what it is I absolutely LOVE. I love fashion and beauty and fitness (though I don't love working out) and food. I'd like to do fashion P.R. and help create fashion events like runway shows and new brand opening parties. I hope I don't have to be a DimDim Girl to get my start though. I don't want to be a Corona Girl, and Budweiser Girl or anything like that. I've got degrees!

I have an interview on Monday morning and the only thing I'm really nervous about is that I'm going to have to wear a dumb outfit once I get the job and do "street marketing" like the the "club promoters" in their tube tops. I'm practically married, it's just not for me. But if you do that, then more power. No, I'm hoping there is a better path to finding my P.R./ Marketing dream job. Something I can build a strong career out of. We'll see what Monday brings.

1 comment:

Eb the Celeb said...

So funny...a person that I look up to who is a very smart man told me that in a job interview.. they dont care anything about you having a masters degree... they post the qualifications and if you apply they dont want you tooting your own horn like the job is beneath you because then why would you have applied.

At first I didnt understand it and thought he was being vindictive but then I realized that everyone has to start somewhere and that simply a piece of paper doesnt define us. We all have to show and prove.

I wish I had known that before I was 80,000 in debt from student loans...lol

Nah I'm just playing... i dont regret any part of getting higher education but it did open my eyes to the reality that things werent going to come easy to me because of it...

good luck on the interview... and the industry your trying to get into is ALL about who you know... so network network network... any fashion organizations that have workshops and things are great for getting to know key people... volunteering at fashion shows... yeah I hated the fact that you had to do things for free sometimes even will a graduate degree to show and prove... just show your face at any possible even that influential people will be at so they start to remember your face.

Sorry didnt mean for this to be a book. Good luck with everything!